The new Amazon Echo Plus (2nd Gen) is simply beautiful in every aspect, from the packaging that it comes in, to the design and the build quality of the unit is outstanding and it looks like an expensive piece of equipment.
- Easy to set up and pair with Alexa enabled devices
- Incorporates the Zigbee Hub. No need for additional hubs
- Great sound quality (good bass and mid tones)
- Great pick up on the mic, fast and responsive
- Good build quality
- Lack of sufficient connections
- Only allows you to interconnect other Echo Plus’s
- Sound quality nearly as good as Sonos
- App not entirely user friendly
Full Review of Amazon Echo Plus 2nd Gen
- The Amazon Echo Plus is the most expensive of all of the Amazon Echo smart speaker range.
- Compared to the first generation Echo Plus, this generation Echo Plus is shorter, thicker and a fabric-based design.
- The top of the device has the mute, Alexa, volume up and down buttons, whilst the bottom has a power port and a 3.5mm jack. So if you want to send sound out to another device you can.
- The 3-inch woofer is bigger than the earlier generation 2.5 inch woofer. and that results in a much fuller and crisper sounding bass.
- Though it has great sound, the Echo Plus is not nearly as nice sounding as the Sonos One.
- You can pair up to two Echo Plus devices and also add an Echo Plus sub-woofer. However, the downside is that you can only add Echo Plus speakers and not the other speakers from the Amazon range.
- Zigbee Home Hub
- The Amazon Echo Plus incorporates the Zigbee Hub (Zigbee and Z Wave are wireless protocols for connectivity in smart homes). It would have been good to see Z wave compatibility too. Hopefully, that will be in a future update.
- You can ask Alexa to find Zigbee compatible devices (like Phillips Hue) and add them to your list of devices. This is something that Apple and Google can’t currently match.
- However, even though there is interoperability with Phillips Hue, you will still need the Phillips Hub to do things like custom scenes for entertainment, home / away and morning wake ups.
- The Amazon Echo Plus has Bluetooth connectivity. This means you can connect your phone or other speakers.
- Dual band wifi is included with support for 801.22 a/b/n/g/ac in either 2.4 or 5Ghz
- It also features easy wifi set up. You just plug in your device, open the Alex app and it connects.
- The Amazon Echo Plus has a built-in Zigbee hub to easily set up and control your compatible smart home devices, and an improved sound for streaming music.
- New premium speakers powered by Dolby play 360° audio with crisp vocals and dynamic bass response. You can also adjust equaliser settings within the Alexa app.
- Just ask Alexa to play music, read the news, check weather forecasts, set alarms and timers, control compatible smart home devices, call anyone with an Echo device or the Alexa App (Skype coming soon), and more.
- Set up your smart home without a separate hub. Ask Alexa to control compatible Zigbee smart lights, plugs and more. Echo Plus also includes a built-in temperature sensor.
- Ask Alexa for a song, artist or genre from Amazon Music, Spotify, TuneIn and more. With multi-room music, you can play music on your compatible Echo devices in different rooms.
- Call or message anyone with an Echo device or the Alexa App hands-free (Skype coming soon). Instantly drop in on other rooms in your home or make an announcement to every room with a compatible Echo device.
- With seven microphones, beam-forming technology and noise cancellation, Echo Plus hears you from any direction – even while music is playing.